- You will create the January cover of an existing magazine. Your design will consist of an image (or images; depending on the month-month design), a minimum of 5-6 teasers, barcode information (price, date, issue, etc.). Select a magazine that is appropriate to a Catholic school environment.
- The information in the teasers must be consistent with the theme of the magazine.
- Remember the teasers are what sells the issues. You will need to create these on your own, do not use what is on your sample issue. It's helpful to look at previous issues to see how they word their teasers. Teaser tell the reader what they can expect in the issue they are about to purchase and read.
- Find your own images using Google searches or any other website that will offer high quality images. Using graphics with text is not permitted. You must create any text on your own using the Type tool. There are limited exceptions, please check with me if you are unsure.
- Your design should be eye catching, using any open space wisely, so your cover does not appear cluttered or unfinished.
- Remember that the Title and other repeating elements on the cover must appear the same on your issue.
- Get fonts that match what the original magazine uses. If you can't find the exact font choose something very similar. A helpful site for finding fonts is www.dafont.com or google search the 'magazine name and font' in the search.
Steps to Follow
- Find a suitable magazine to design. Use something that is popular, current and appeals to you.
- You must talk to me before you proceed to the next step.
- Create the background; you can download a large image from the internet or take one from around the school that could potentially work.
- Using PhotoShop, create a new document and set the resolution to 300 dpi and a size to 8.5 x 11.
- Find the fonts that matches best and use.
- Measuring is crucial in getting things the same as original.
- Use guides by clicking and dragging then out of the top or side rulers areas.
- Create your teasers using the fonts that closely resemble the original magazine. Make sure what you right pertain to your magazine subject matter.
- Barcode can be found online as an image - be sure to use a large image.
- Take a photo to feature on your cover of your partner. Remember to pose them in the style that will match your magazine.
- Now is the time to clip out the photo of your model using either the Quick Selection tool or the Polygonal Lasso Tool. Make sure to lighten your model (Image/Adjustments/Curves) to do so.
- Remember to Save your work to the z: drive after every major addition to your file.
You must have the following:
- A background
- A cover photo of your partner
- A Masthead (title)
- Several story line titles (5-6 teasers)
- Issue date
- Issue price
- web site address
- UPC symbol